Monday, February 23, 2015

Visit #9: The Threes

Hello again!

So since this entire term is dedicated to multiplication, I brought in another multiplication activity this week! This time, I decided to focus on the three times tables. Since rhythm is one of the most important aspects for a child's musical education, I brought in a few short poems about multiplication that I set to rhythms. Putting the poem to rhythm helps with memorization and makes committing the poem to long-term memory easier. After getting the rhythm poem together, I wanted to add more musical elements to make the exercise exciting for the students. To do this, I added hand drums, guiros, and some beat boxing. The rhythm I wrote had the drums keeping the beat, the guiros improvising, and the beat boxing subdividing the beat.
When I came into the classroom, the students all caught on quickly to the rhythm of the poem and the light, funny feel of the lyrics. They were also all very excited to play an instrument but what they enjoyed the most was obviously the beat boxing. Because beat boxing is generally associated with men, the boys in the class were eager to participate, whereas with actual singing they sometimes shy away. This makes it a great introduction to making music with your body while leaving out the awkwardness of singing in front of a class.


 Here are the videos from two of the poems that we did in class on Friday.








Until next time!

-Kyra


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome. I hope those songs are engraved into those kids memories forever!

    ReplyDelete